So it’s been one week since surgery. Thought I’d give a few updates today on where things are at.
- Nausea: gone. Unless I take medicine, which I take as little as possible.
- Appetite: Since the nausea is gone, I am getting hungry a lot. This is a good thing. I am supposed to be eating three small meals plus three snacks a day. I have not managed that yet but I am working towards it.
- Weight: I’ve lost 13 pounds in one week. The doctor recommended not losing over 12 a week if possible. I’m close.
- Numbness: Has not changed. The picture shows the area that is numb. Also included is the roof of my mouth right behind my front teeth.
- Sleep: I got a full night’s sleep last night!!! I do make myself wake up multiple times to check on things but otherwise slept well. Hoping this continues.
- Medicine: Taking liquid ibuprofen before bed gives me enough relief to sleep. Not sure I could otherwise. I’m not taking any other meds except the antibioitic mouthwash.
- Cleaning: I have to clean my teeth after every single time I eat. This is rinsing with saline water then brushing the outside of my teeth. Twice a day I have to use the mouthwash.
- Stitches: I think I have three places with stitches in my mouth. All upper gum area inside the mouth. One under my nose and one in each far back corner. Since I can’t feel my upper gums, and it’s too swollen to look in my mouth, I don’t really know where the stitches are. I am very hesitant to brush too close to where they might be. Makes it tricky to clean.
- Eating: From day 1, I have eaten and drunken using a mirror on the table beside me. I cannot always hit my mouth when I can’t feel it all, so have to use the mirror to make sure I don’t stab myself. Also to make sure there’s no leftovers hanging around that I can’t tell are there. The mirror is indespensible. They should tell everyone to get one.
- Energy level: very slow to regain. However I did start feeling better in conjunction with eating more. I have been walking some around my rooms once in a while and it’s easier than it was. I tried going upstairs yesterday (really wanted long hot bath) and it took a lot out of me. I feel like lost all my muscle tone overnight. Even filling a syringe with food is draining.
And last, since it’s one week, thought I’d put in a comparison photo. The first is taken the night before surgery. The second is today. Keep in mind I am still puffy in my frontal face and cheeks, and under my chin. Still the difference is amazing to me. I don’t think I really comprehended how different I might look. I can’t say I like it but surely it will improve as the swelling goes down.