Getting over an underbite

blogging my way through double jaw surgery

Day 11 Getting better

This morning I woke up thinking that yesterday was a turning point for me in recovery. Nothing big happened yesterday; rather it was a number of small things together that contributed to this.

It worked out to get my ortho’s office to replace the broken rubber bands (instead of driving all the way to the surgeon). Another one popped while brushing my teeth in the morning. We rushed to get to town before they closed at noon. When I arrive the nurse was very pleased with how I looked. Kept telling me I was not swollen. Look, I say, here and here. No, you are not swollen at all compared to other people. She gave us extra bands and showed my husband how to put them on in case it happened again. I left feeling that my jaw was so much safer and encouraged by the nurse.

We go to the grocery store after that and I still manage fine. I just walk slow and hold onto the cart sometimes. It was a little bit of torture seeing all the food I would love to eat, but it was good I went since we spotted some new things to try. We went to the allergist for my monthly shot, but they were closed for a staff Christmas party.

I was very pleased with my stamina getting out and about. I wasn’t overly tired even after I came back. And then there’s the matter that I left the house without a notebook & pen. I made it the whole trip without my safety communication blanket. I’m so happy that at least my husband and the nurse could understand me enough.

I’m convinced the swelling is starting to go down. I can see & feel a difference now from a week ago. The swelling always gets worse at night, for reasons I don’t understand. Near bedtime every night, the pressure will start to build, which is why I have been doing pain meds before bedtime, so I can sleep. Last night I skipped them. It didn’t feel any worse. No meds! I love it. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt, but it’s manageable.

ImageAlso I made it through the entire night! I slept all night!!! I only woke up to check the time here and there. This is a first. I was a little worried at first. I was ready to crawl into bed and discovered my ipod had run down. Listening to music or the TV is the only way I’ve been able to fall asleep at night. So I stayed up to give it brief charge, redoing my playlist while I waited. It worked!

Also I see that the whole blood clots draining from my head is lessening some. As my head clears my congestion lessens. I no longer wheeze with every breath. aaaaahhhh relief.

Now I will say this. While yesterday I did well physically, emotionally I didn’t do so well. In fact I was in a little bit of a pity-party mode. I tried to snap myself out of it but that is easier thought than done. Anyway today is a new day and I’m feeling pretty good about the whole ‘had a good night’s sleep’ bit.

So for something different today I thought I’d try recording myself. Not sure if you’ll understand me but I’ll try it.



Single Post Navigation

6 thoughts on “Day 11 Getting better

  1. Deb Flynn on said:

    Hey Lois, that 11 days seems to have gone by really fast. Maybe not for you though. You look really good and talking well also. Glad to hear you are feeling so much better and getting out and about. I presume the nausea has gone and you’re able to take in more sustenance now. I hope your emotional state continues to improve. Considering what you’ve been through it’s not surprising that you might be on an emotional roller coaster. Anyway, best wishes to you for Christmas and the new year and looking forward to following your continued improvement.

    • Thanks Deb. Yes the nausea is gone now, what a difference that makes! It was definitely making my life miserable a week ago. I am feeling more optimistic now, hopefully the next days do fly by. Merry Christmas to you!

  2. Congratulations on your awesome progress! I remember how excited and happy I was when I actually slept more than 4 hours, and it was so glorious. The nurse was right, you also do look and sound great! This recovery is one hell of a roller coaster, isn’t it? I remember a friend telling me that it takes a good amount of time for you body to get back to normal again, and the same definitely goes for our moods/emotions. I’m so happy to see that you’re getting stronger, I think the worst is behind you 🙂

    • Thanks! It is a crazy ride. I read that a lot on previous blogs, but you don’t really know what it’s like til you go through it.

      • Couldn’t agree more. It’s the little things that really catch you off guard, things that you used to do everyday but now have become impossible or very messy (like drinking/eating/breathing etc) 🙂

  3. Lois, you are so stinking cute – and funny! It was great “listening” to and seeing your video today 🙂 Hopefully I’ll get to see you in person today too! “Mewwy Cwistmas” back at you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: